Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Vintage Sweater Reunion

I think about this every winter when I'm reunited with my father who is no longer with us.  I look forward to cold, so I can wear the two sweaters I stole from him when I was 18 years old.

I'm glad I was a thief. 
 
My father nurtured my love affair with cashmere. My dad was a classy dresser and always looked very handsome and smart. When we were living in Turkey, we experienced cold winters.  He let me borrow his sweaters, which I carelessly - accidentally - on purpose - refused to surrender when it was time to move back to the states.  I reasoned Daddy would never miss them.  I was right, he didn't.  

When I stole those sweaters, no one knew he would be with us only 6 more winters.

20 years later, I'm still wearing those two cashmere sweaters.  I swear sometimes I can still smell him when I wear them during chilly, cuddly days. I've had them dry cleaned many times so I don't understand it. It's probably in my head, but I feel very close to him when I wear them.
 
  I hope God forgives my lack of remorse over stealing these two sweaters. They are a blessing to me. My daughter wears them too. I guess she'll probably end up stealing them from me in time.  :) 

 
Be blessed and Be a blessing to others.
 
***********************************************************************************

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that’s why its called the present." - Pooh

Be a Blessing
 
~ The End ~
 

2 comments:

Nancy said...

What a great memory. It's so nice you were able to keep something from him that you still treasure. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sweet Woodruff said...

Thanks for stoping by Nancy. It is a very good memory. And what is more comforting than cashmere? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...