Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Orange Peel Stove Top Potpourri

They bloom in the spring, grow all summer and fall,


Now citrus harvest season is upon us in Florida. 


Orange peel is just another nifty thing I hoard
I save it all year to use when my soul craves a spicy contentment. 
It's like comfort food for your nose.
Save your peel chunks if you have no time to zest.    
 
You can leave them in big chunks or Julienne them. 
They will dry within a few days.
I have vintage pie crust cutters I'll use when I feel like it.  Makes for sweeter packages when given as a gift.
 
 

Here is my recipe for the "Orange Peel Stew"

(which you will NOT eat, only smell).  
 
I collect spices all year when they go on sale or I have a coupon.

 
Handful of Orange Peel
2 Tbls Pickling Spice
3 Cinnamon Sticks
1 Tbls whole Allspice
1 Tbls powdered Ginger
 
    
Place in 3 cups of water and simmer on stove top. 
May be refrigerated between uses. 
You'll have to bring it to a FULL Rolling bowl! 
It will look like back yard, mud pie and leaf stew. As soon as it comes to a heavy boil, turn it down immediately to very low simmer.  Simmer all day. Do not leave unattended.
*Your water will evaporate all day, so you'll keep adding water to your little pot.
*Little potpourri burners won't work either. This has to come to a boil on your stove, but be sure to turn it back down to the lowest heat, asap just to simmer, or it can scorch or burn.
*Refrigerate to use the next day. Add a few more pieces of orange peel or a cinnamon stick if it starts smelling weak.
*You also don't have to wait for your orange peel to dry to use it like this.  I do out of habit, but fresh boiled orange peel smells good too.  :) 
**********************************************************************************

Pooh is feeling kind and generous today and offers you an orange. 


~The End~

Be blessed and be a blessing. 

Sharing with:


6 comments:

Donna Heber said...

Wow, I never really thought about doing anything with my orange peels. I guess down in Florida you eat quite a bit more oranges than we do in the north country. I can just smell the spices! Thanks for sharing.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love this idea, I bet it smells great, I won't be throwing any more orange peels out! Oh, thank Pooh for the orange

Carol

Melanie said...

Enjoyed this post!! Have used orange peel and cinnamon sticks and/or cloves in the past, but I really like your recipe. Was planning in making ambrosia today and will use my peels to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a great idea! I have never saved my orange peels. Always toss them in the disposal for a fresh smell. I have seen them in potpourri, but never bothered. I have a bag of oranges in the fridge. I will surely give this a whirl. Love the ones shaped like leaves. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup. I am now following you.
Hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at Share Your Cup later today.
hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

I will have to give this a try! I am home right now after being layed off so this will make my cold days nice! Found you on Jann's blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...