Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grandma's Moss Roses


My Mother-in-law had planters around her pool full of flowers every summer. She liked to grow Moss Roses. We got one of her vintage planters, which I just love, except it has a nice big crack down the side of it. Oh well. It's still pretty and usable. Now mind you, it came to our house empty...just a plain old pot with a crack. I put one of the plants we received from her funeral in it, but it died this winter (ok, I probably killed it...ugh). If you want a house plant to live, don't give it to me. :)

It's been on the back porch this spring...just a pot with dirt...sitting there waiting for me to do something with it. A few weeks ago, something started growing in it. I thought it was a weed, although a pretty little weed and decided to let it grow to see what it would turn out to be.

Low and behold, I went outside Mother's Day morning and found a Moss Rose in bloom. Holy Cow...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Mother's Day...of all the days of the year, it could bloom, it bloomed on Mother's Day?!!! The more I thought about it, the more impressed I was. I decided she came to see us, to tell us she loved us. Logically, she probably didn't...it was just God showing us a sweet bit of grace and tender love on this special, yet difficult day.

The facts are that the pot came to our home empty and out of no where, a year and a half later, a Moss Rose bloomed on Mother's Day. I figure maybe a seed was trapped in the crack or something and finally took root. Who knows....but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. It was the sweetest thing that has happened to us in a long time.
 
I don't believe in coincidences.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...