Thursday, October 29, 2009

Meriwether Lewis Quote

"I had in all human probability existed about half the period which I am to remain in this Sublunary world ... I had as yet done but little, very little, indeed, to further the happiness of the human race, or to advance the information of the succeeding generation. I viewed with regret the many hours I have spent in indolence, and now sorely feel the want of that information which those hours would have given me had they been judiciously expended ... I resolved in future, to redouble my exertions ... to live for mankind, as I have heretofore lived for myself."

- Meriwether Lewis, August 18, 1805, on occasion of his 31st birthday

Poor Meriwether. What a beautiful name he had. 
Bless his heart. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...