Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Memorial Quilt out of Men's Shirts

Just a quick show and tell. 
 
Wish I had taken better photos of this, but I was in a hurry to give it to the family who lost their young husband and father.  :(  I have had his shirts for awhile now, but Allyson's wedding got in the way of finishing this up.
 
 
If you have suffered a recent loss and you would like to make a quilt from their clothing,
USE THIS PATTERN! 
It's easy.  It's pretty.  It's fast. 
 
(It wasn't long enough for me, as the recipient was a college basketball player and I wanted him to be able to snuggle his dad or warm up when needed. I lengthened it with strip pieced blocks. I had plenty of left over fabric from the 7 shirts).
 
 
Did I mention the pattern is free?  Go thank The Thrifty Quilter at Life is a Stitch for being so generous and give her cheerful accolades.
 
All you need are 7 shirts. 
 
If you don't quilt, don't be intimidated.  It's an easy 9 Patch and Snowball block arrangement. 
 
If you're new to quilting, This is a Snowball and a 9 Patch together.
 I ended up tying it, because I couldn't afford to have it quilted.  I also think tied quilts snuggle better sometimes.  I hand stitched some embroidery thread around the snowball for stability but it also looked pretty to have the the added color and handwork.
 
 
I saved all the buttons and shirt tags.  I also saved my "snowball triangles" and used them in the border with tiny windmill blocks. 
 
 
 
************************************************************************
Psalm 34:18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Pooh growls, "Do you mind?  I'm trying to sleep."

10 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

What a beautiful, touching and no doubt treasured gift. How lovely that you use your gifts in a way that truly with bless others.

Nancy-Rose said...

Thank you for the nice mention of my blog and 7 shirt pattern!

Nancy-Rose

SewSweetVIntage said...

I came back, following now:) Love these colors! Pinning and forwarding to a friend who quilts!

Carin@Ullhärvan said...

What a beautiful quilt, and it will always be treasured!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great quilt you made.

Emily said...

What a lovely quilt. I just finished a baby quilt made from some old men's shirts but they didn't have sentimental value. I'm sure this quilt will be treasured.

Paulette said...

What a wonderful quilt! Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I've got shirt scraps left from two others I've made, and I really like this design.

Sarah Craig said...

Oh my goodness, that's beautiful! I'm definitely going to check out the tutorial. Thanks for the link! Whoop whoop!!

Jenelle said...

I am sure this quilt will be a comfort! What amazing details you kept with the buttons and tags too. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Anonymous said...

Mens Street Fashion is a leading brand name in Mens Clothes.We have wide variety of men’s fashion wear and accessory including Mens Shoes Mens Clothing in usa,Mens Hair Mens Bag comes up with the latest and trendiest varieties of Mens Blog accessory and all that in California, USA. Mens fitness in California, Mens Collection Mens Elegant Style More Details About Mens Health at www.menstreetfashion.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...