Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Children's Hour at 17...it's possible


 
Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupations,
That is known as the Children's Hour... 

(just a pinch of Longfellow for your day)
 
One of my greatest blessings is how my quiet, reserved, cautious, but ever so sweet
17 year old son, still allows me in his life.  He lets me into his world late at night before bed.  He shares with me his day.  His hurt feelings.  His hopes.  His to-do list. 
His loves.  How his friends are doing.  His enemies and who needs prayer the most
He sometimes brings his phone and shares Tumbler jokes and we laugh till we cry. 
 
 
I treasure these brief few minutes he gives me because I know most mothers are "cut off" by this age. And although I am publicly cut off from all forms of affection,
which I understand and am cool with now (just barely)...
privately, I'm still his mother.  He likes talking to me and we're still buddies.
 
 
He doesn't like me very much during the day because he's grumpy or I'm bossy, but at 10:30 PM each evening, peace is declared and Mom and Teenager are friends. Friends on his terms only, which I have gradually come to terms with myself. No matter how much it hurts, he has to pull away and go his own way. Cutting the cord is a good thing, right?
 
 
Soon, he'll be gone, living his own life. I hope my kids look back on their childhood and treasure the "Children's Hours" we've spent, whispering the private language spoken within families.
 
Good night sweet boy. Thank you for letting me in your world and for allowing these photos,
even though you hate my camera. :)
 
 
... I have you fast in my fortress,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!
 
********************************************************************************
 
Cool, but we all know who the favorite kid is, right. ME!
 
 
 
Be blessed and be a blessing! 
 
~ The End ~
 
Sharing with:
 
 
 
  

14 comments:

UniqueNique said...

Such special times when they let you in to their private lives :D

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing your special time with your son. We have two sons 16 and 19 and are close to them as well. It's so wonderful to know them and have them love family relationships...great story! :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are beyond lucky, well not lucky, you are a great Mom to have established this relationship....Yes, he will remember this his whole life!

Carol

Anonymous said...

AllyJo, sweeter words have not been written about that cherished children's hour between a Mother and her teenaged Son.

Believe me when I say; 'he will cherish that time as much as you'.

God bless you both; have a wonder-filled day ~:)

Tanya Breese said...

what a great post! loved it! i have a 15 year old son and we are still pretty close...he never comes to me with problems really, if he's upset, but he does share interesting things about his day with me or jokes around with me still...
i love that second to the last picture of you son!

Sandra said...

I only hope that when my kids turn 17 they'll still let me into their life the way your son does :)

What a blessing.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

What a sweet post! What a fine young man you have raised. Thank you for sharing and for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this great post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is still live. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/01/make-it-pretty-monday-week-31.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Sweet Woodruff said...

I should share our relationship is always a work in progress. He is so independent and strong willed *cough* like his mother. I've learned to not push him and let him love me and come to me on his terms. It took me a long time to realize his moody hormones were not personal.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Hi there and nice to meet you! I've raised 2. It tookuntil 20 for the girl and 22 for the boy to decide maybe we'd gotten sorta smart & cool all of a sudden....don't despair! But the moments to savor make it all worthwhile and endurable.
Ruth

JoKnows said...

What a sweet post. My son is 10 and he often shuts me out. He still loves to read together before bed though. Trouble is, often we don't get time because I have so much trouble getting the kids to get ready for bed that we end up not having time to read. :(

TexWisGirl said...

that is sweet... :)

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

betty-NZ said...

How wise you are to recognize this unique relationship. Great post and thank him for the photos :)

April D said...

You made me cry! As the mom of a 16 year old, I get it!

precious times.
~april

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...