Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Waiting for my son...

After all is said and done...
and our children are grown and gone...
have been raised and graduated...
careers,
married off,
etc...

How much of our time as parents was spent


And yet, I dare not complain! 
(bite my tongue and God forbid it)


My daughter is a junior in college and will marry her fireman in 2 months. 
During her freshman year at Florida College,
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed her coming home to do laundry. 
Who knew I would miss dirty laundry so much? 
Her dirty laundry was such a comfort and for the first time I could ever remember,
I actually enjoyed doing it. 
Yes, it's true. 
I did my grown daughter's laundry because it smelled soooooo good. 
What's more comforting than the smell of our children???

 
You miss the unmade beds.
You miss the 4 dirty plates in the sink, where now there are only 3. 
You miss their friends being over all the time and the messes they make as they try on 13 different outfits to look good for the boy they liked that week


Last Thursday, I sat in the car and waited for my son while he was in his homeschool co-op.  
I've been forbidden (ouch) from thrift store shopping for the rest of the month,
so I brought my quilting along...the almost finished wedding quilt.   
(Can't believe I actually did what my husband told me to do!!  Go me!!)
I sat there and waited for over 2 1/2 hours
The radio was my company. 
The windows were rolled down.  
A perfectly warm breeze (not too hot, not too cold) was blowing. 
The citrus trees are blooming in our area so the air smells heavenly now.  It was a peaceful time.
  Waiting. 

  
I don't think I'll miss waiting 2 1/2 hours for my son,
but my heart knows better...


 I'll miss waiting for him terribly. 

  

***********************************************************************************
Choose Joy.  It's there.  Find it. 

Be blessed and Be a Blessing...

"It is strange that the years teach us patience;
that the shorter our time, the greater our capactiy for waiting." 
~  Elizabeth Taylor

Poo says hide in the grass and practice your pounce. 
You never know when you might need it.   


4 comments:

Covnitkepr1 said...

When it's all said and done it boils down to ...we all miss our kids.
Nice post.

Allie said...

Oh sweetheart this post brought tears to my eyes - the years of hands-on parenting are over far too soon - and yet, look at the beautiful people you've nurtured!!!

Must admit to being in a bit of shock over the thrifting thing though...*G*

rkbsnana said...

Loving Poo's antics. So cute

Miss Jamee Quilts said...

I have one son out, a few years now, and one half out (well, his BED is here)...and I long for the sound of crunching gravel in the driveway, or the phone to ring. I cant say I will ever miss their smells tho...or their dirty laundry! My cat talks to me more than most anyone else. Love your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...