Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Green Tomato Relish ~ Or Chow Chow

This is a continuation of a previous post. 

Thought maybe I would just go ahead and share the recipe

This is my mother-in-law's recipe. 
It tastes good with everything
but my favorite way to eat it is with a spoon.  :) 

I especially like it with fish. 

It looks so pretty in a jar, doesn't it? 

Here is the recipe....
I have cut it in half before and even into 1/4ths when I didn't have enough green tomatoes. 



8 qts. green tomatoes cut into 1/4ths
7 onions
5 hot peppers
2 cups of sugar
1/4 cupt salt
4 cups vinegar

Put in pan.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Put in jars and seal. 

Sharing this with:
Coastal Charm Nifty Thrifty Tuesday (lots of good stuff over here)

Northern Cottage Party Time

Cedar Hill Ranch and the Cowgirl-up-linky-party

Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Ivy and Elephants and What's It Wednesday

Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes

Rock-n-Share-19 at The Shady Porch
***********************************************************************************

Choose Joy

Be blessed and be a blessing

"Oh, what I wouldn't give for a plate of fried green tomatoes like we used to have at the cafe. Ooh!" ~ Ninny Threadgoode, Fried Green Tomatoes



Poo says find a lap and get petted

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love using green tomatoes at the end of the season. Thanks for the relish recipe!
~Dorothy~

Anonymous said...

My family could have used your recipe years ago! We used to have a greenhouse where we only grew tomatoes. Family recipes are always the best, so thanks for sharing yours at my party this week. It looks like a winner!

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by today to let you know I included your yummy looking relish on my Saturday Picks today. Congrats on your feature! If you are interested, there is a feature button for your feature page or sidebar. I'd love to see you at the party again. In the meantime, I hope you are having a great weekend!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh this sounds delicious and easy! Reminds me of the chow-chow we had growing up. I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for linking!
Hugs,
Patti

Sweet Woodruff said...

Actually, I think it probably is chow chow. LOL Funny you should mention that. My mother-in-law just called it green tomato relish. It's similar at least.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...