Monday, May 17, 2010

Cathedral Window Quilt ~ Hand Piecing

Handwork is perfect for me and has been since I was about 5 years old when my grandma started teaching me all the domestic arts.
 
It forces me to sit still like a good girl, while yet still being able to keep my hands busy.

We live in a busy, overstimulated world. Hurry, hurry, hurry! Handwork is a disciplined patience trainer. It teaches you to respect time, rather than forcing the clock to respect you and your goals.
 
You are at the mercy of the slow pace set by your handwork. Any handwork I do centers me, helps my spirit focus on what I should be thinking or praying. 
 
It's a literal mind sweep for me.
 
I'm really digging all the gorgeous, machine pieced, nicely pressed windows out there. I might give it a try. But I'm also a big fan (or maybe just lazy) of the humbled, muslin, primitive, less than perfect look. I hand pieced all my muslin squares and no matter how hard I tried, none of them were perfect.
 
I like it like that.
 
One nice little trick I'm using this time is I had a ton of Moda Petit Four sample collection I have 1,000's of 2 1/2 squares precut, but I thought it would be fun to use up my Moda sample squares.
 
Hyena-in-Petticoats I like how she pieced this with the machine and also stuck a tiny piece of batting under the 2 1/2 in square for extra warmth. Each little square becomes a tiny pillow. My Florida cathedral window quilt will not be including batting, however. :)
 
Making Ends Meet I love how she used colored background. Love, love, love the grey! My next cathedral window will use a colored background, when I finish this one in 20 years.
 
Sometimes Crafter A nice tutorial, lots of links and pretty pictures!! Oh my!
 
Warm In The North CW pillow tutelage!
 
 
 
Here is more of the Cathedral Window Story
 
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...