Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pieces of Beautiful (Log Cabin and other thoughts)

"The LORD doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:2-3
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."

Buckminster Fuller

How is quilting with a big pile of hopeless, crazy cut, ugly colored, unmatching mess a metaphor for our life? As I've been working on my abominable, ferocious piles of crumbs and scraps this week, I kept looking at the mess and felt overwhelmed, sometimes to the point of tears, but also hopeful, as I knew they would become something beautiful in the end. Didn't really know what it was going to look like, but I had faith that it would be pretty. I looked at the piles and laughed sometimes thinking how uncanny the picture was because it could have been a picture of my life about 20 years ago.......(or last summer when I thought I was gonna die, but lived...praises to the most high!!!)


It took me 3 days to make this mini log cabin. It will probably take the Lord more than 3 days to fix some of our messes, but it's exciting to think about the blessings that will come out of it on the other side of the "fabric, rubbled covered mountain". Sometimes, it takes a long time, but you just have to trust. What choice do we have? Trust or not to trust....I'll choose trust.


Sometimes, there are messes which will never be fixed and I'll never have peace about it...like my father's death. But you know, life goes on and I'm so grateful for the blessings God has given me to help ease the pain and help me take my mind off it...know what I mean? Just some things can't be fixed...plan and simple...but there is beauty and joy to be found every where you look and you have to focus on the good. I'm mostly preaching to myself here. I have to see beauty, love those around me and CHOOSE JOY, or I'll literally go crazy thinking about the hurt.


OK, enough of that....picture time now! :) Look at the pictures and think hard about life and pray when your done. God is good. (((group hug)))


You know.....I've given up trying to be tidy while working with scraps. It's impossible. Life has to get messy sometimes before it can get beautiful again.


Looks like Moda barfed Thanksgiving all over the place...








A 4 inch block



This mini quilt is around 22 inches. This picture doesn't do it justice. It's so beautiful. I can't stop looking at it.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...